Wednesday, August 8, 2012

French Exodus?

I'm back!  Full disclosure: I have been back for a while but I've been a little delinquent having been preoccupied with the Olympics.  Seriously it is the best two weeks of television, agree?  Amazing, inspiring, exciting, emotional..what is there not to like?  Incidentally I don't think I'm alone as markets globally have been humming along smoothly.

Well, I have to be honest (without sounding flippant) France felt just fine.  Admittedly, I am a Francophile.  Moreover, I was in some pretty high profile vacation destinations so of course the mood felt upbeat.  That said, I did encounter plenty of pissed-off French who are vowing to leave should Hollande's plans to tax the rich materialize.

Where are they headed?  I'd imagine foreigner-friendly/ low tax destinations will be their first destination.  Probably explains why property prices in cities like New York, London, Singapore, Hong Kong, Monaco have remained resilient despite a tricky economic climate.  As a HK property owner I hope it lasts and frankly I'd be delighted with a new neighbor to help me with my French.  Au Revoir!    

No comments:

Post a Comment